Hockey's what we're about!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recent Updates/News

Go down

Recent Updates/News Empty Recent Updates/News

Post by Hound Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:38 pm

Here's some recent updates and news floating around the hockey world.

To kick it off....

The Pittsburgh Penguins have spoken to Pierre McGuire about becoming a candidate for the role of General Manager. Pierre McGuire is currently inside the glass with the NBCSN crew. He was the assistant coach of the Penguins back in 1991 and 1992. He then moved on to become the assistant coach of the Hartford Whalers in 1992. September 8, 1993, he was promoted to assistant general manager. November 16, 1993, he was named head coach. Later, he was fired because he could not take the team past the regular season.

The New York Islanders acquire Defenseman Dan Boyle from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a conditional 5th Round Draft Pick (2015).

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman reduced Rangers Forward Daniel Carcillo to 6 games. He is expected to be back by Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Capitals Center Mikhail Grabovski becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but he signs a contract with a soccer team in his native Belarus. He says that he will be back for the NHL season, as it's only a summer thing.

*RUMORED TRADE, DO NOT FREAK OUT* There is a trade rumor going around between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Florida Panthers. This is a deal that could have the Maple Leafs send Dion Phaneuf, Nazem Kadri, an 8th overall pick (2014) in exchange for the 1st overall pick and Ed Jovanovski. The Leafs would most likely use the 1st overall pick to select Aaron Ekbald. This is only a rumor. NOTHING has been confirmed yet.

The New York Islanders announced that they will retain their first round selection in the 2014 NHL Draft and transfer their first round selection in the 2015 NHL Draft to the Buffalo Sabres. This was packaged in the teams' deal for Thomas Vanek on October 27, 2013. The Islanders also announce the signing of Goaltender Jaroslav Halak, whom they acquired from the Washington Capitals.

Buffalo Sabres Forward Zenon Konopka has been suspended for using a banned substance. He took this well, I'd say. He didn't argue, throw a fit, or try to appeal the ban. He took this upon himself maturely and regrets he did it, but just accepts the fact that he is suspended for some amount of games.

The New Jersey Devils now take the 30th pick in the NHL Draft due to signing Left Wing Ilya Kovalchuk from his KHL team SKA Saint Petersburg.

That's all I have for now. If I find out more, I'll put a post below with the newest updates. I should be hearing some when it is closer to the draft and closer to preseason, not to mention when the signing of the free agency arrives.

Hound
Hound
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum